Q. I have 2 meters on my switchboard, one for the Hot Water System on a cheaper tariff, and the other the standard tariff for all other services. If I go solar how will the solar power my hot water system on the separate meter?
A. Your choices are:
1. Do nothing. Leave your hot water cylinder alone. You may choose to do this if you are on a very cheap hot water tariff e.g. under 15c per kWh.
2. Put your hot water cylinder on a simple timer switch as described here.
3. Put your hot water cylinder on a smart relay (if you have a Fronius inverter) as described here.
4. Use a special hot water PV diverter to divert solar energy to your hot water cylinder as described here.
5. Get dedicated PV panels and a SunFlux II.
6. Replace your old fashioned cylinder with a decent brand of heat pump.
If it was me I'd probably plump for a good heat pump (like a Sanden) and put it on a simple timer.