If you live in Victoria you will almost certainly have a smart meter.
If you are on a time of use tariff you will have a smart meter.
If you have had solar installed in the past 3 years you have probably got a smart meter.
And if you have a smart meter you can get access to your energy data in 30 minute intervals by simply asking your local DNSP. Your DNSP is your local electricity network - they are a different company to your electricity retailer. The exception is Tasmania where you get your smart meter data from Aurora.
To get your smart meter data for every part of Australia, depending on the sophistication of your DNSP you either:
1. Access a portal (immediate access)
- For DNSPs with their shit together, simply register with your DNSP using the links in the table below.
- You'll need a recent bill.
- Use the bill to ensure the data you entered matches your DNSP's records, and everything should go through automatically.
- You should be granted immediate access to a portal where you can download your data.
- Some portals are better than others. For example SA Power Networks' portal is excellent.
- In the portal you can download the 'detailed' CSV file - this should be in a format known as 'NEM12'
2. Request your data via an online form
- For DNSPs who are too tight fisted to invest a fraction of their massive profits in an online portal, you can fill in a form with the links below to request your data.
- You'll need a bill handy, and in QLD you'll need to know the date when your first bill commenced.
- Ask for the detailed file.
- Ask for 12 months of data to get all the seasons.
- They should have your files to you within 10 business days.
3. Call the up and ask for your data (they must provide it by law).
For DNSPs who are stuck in 1987, you have to call them up and ask nicely for:
"12 months of detailed smart meter data in NEM12 format"
How to get your data for every network in Australia
Here's a summary with all the links:
|State/Territory||DNSP||Region||Type Of Access (with link)|
|Essential Energy||ACT (limited area)||Online Form|
|NSW||Essential Energy||Regional NSW||Online Form|
|Ausgrid||Northern Sydney||Online Form|
|Endeavour Energy||South-west of Sydney||Online Form|
|QLD||Energex||South-east Queensland||Online Form|
|Ergon Energy||Regional Queensland||Online Form|
|SA||SA Power Networks||South Australia||Portal|
|TAS||Aurora (not a DNSP - but they handle smart meter data in TAS)||Tasmania||
1300 13 2003
|Jemena||Western inner Melbourne||Portal|
|Ausnet||Eastern Victoria||Online Form|
|United Energy||South-east Melbourne and Mornington Pensinsula||Portal|
|WA||Western Power||Western Australia South of Kalbarri (SWIS)||
13 10 87
|Horizon Power||Rural stand-alone networks, including the Pilbara||
1800 267 926